Friday 8 April 2011

We’re backing Becky in the London Marathon

There’s only 9 days to go until the Virgin London Marathon 2011 and this year one of our (very brave) optometrists will be running to raise money for CLIC sergeant. Becky Baglin, our resident optometrist at Tesco Opticians Gloucester Brockworth, has been training for the past 11 weeks to take part in this amazing event.


As the big day creeps ever closer, Becky has been taking time out of her manic training schedule to update us on her progress:


“A little bit about me: I only started running a few years ago, so all of this is still pretty new to me. I’d always hated running when I was younger and never thought I’d ever run in a professional race – let alone the London Marathon! My first big run was the the Race for Life in Durham in 2005. I loved it and had well and truly got the running bug. Since then I have completed 3 half marathons, each time working up towards one day running a full one. In all honesty I hadn’t expected the opportunity to come so soon, but  I was asked to take part in the London Marathon this year as one of the team I am running for had to drop out due to injury. Naturally I said yes, so my dreams of taking part came a lot sooner than expected, only leaving me with 11 weeks training time!


I now have my running vest for the day, with a big Tesco Opticians logo on the front, and it looks great. I’m fundraising hard, after all this is one of the main reasons for the marathon – to raise money for some well deserving charities. To get into the mood (and do some training!) I ran for 4 hours on a treadmill outside my store at Brockworth on sunday and managed to raise about £420!! I was so grateful for everyone’s massive generosity and it definitely made the time pass quicker! I'm now almost at my target amount but would like to keep going to raise as much as possible for CLIC Sergeant.


Running in the London Marathon really is a once in a lifetime opportunity for me and it’s been made even better by the fact that I am raising money for a great charity. The staff and customers at Tesco Opticians Gloucester Brockworth have been amazing in supporting me and in particular our community champion Mandy Thurland. The countdown starts now; 9 days to go! All of the hard training is now done, I’m just keeping my fingers crossed for good weather!”


If you’d like to support Becky, just visit her Virgin Money Giving page or copy and paste http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/BeckyBaglin into your browserand help her on her way. As for us at Tesco Opticians, we’d like to say a HUGE good luck! 


Check back in after the race and see how Becky got on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment